Rhode Island Forced Ultrasound Bill (H 5648)
This law was last updated on Apr 8, 2015
H 5648 would amend current legislation regarding informed consent to require physicians to perform an obstetric ultrasound on a pregnant woman prior to a woman giving informing consent to have an abortion performed.
H 5648 would require physicians to:
- Perform an obstetric ultrasound;
- Offer an explanation of the results;
- Display the ultrasound images so the woman may view them;
- Provide a medical description of the images, including the dimensions of the embryo or fetus and the presence of external members and internal organs; and
- Provide an opportunity for the woman to refuse to consent to the abortion.
Any physician who knowingly violates this provision would face a civil penalty up to $100,000 for the first offense and up to $250,000 for any subsequent offense.