- What does Rewire.News cover?
Rewire.News is an award-winning, nonprofit daily online publication devoted to evidence-based reporting on reproductive and sexual health, rights, and justice, and the intersections of race, environmental, immigration, and economic justice.
Read more about our mission on our About Us page.
- Why those issues?
- Journalism has an inherent role in promoting a healthy and just society. Journalists have a duty to inform the public, report the facts, speak truth to power, and in turn, serve as a pillar of democracy and justice. Over at least the past three decades, direct attacks on science and evidence have grown exponentially, while pressure on news outlets to weigh “both sides” have likewise increased, even when statements or positions of a specific “side” are not based in fact. As a result, the media ecosystem is rife with outlets that purposefully spread lies, stigma, and discrimination, failing in their duty to inform the public. The predictable result are policies that serve the powerful at the expense of the many; that are at best inadequate to solve critical problems of health, race, class, and the environment, and at worse cause harm in the short- and longer-term. Rewire.News provides evidence-based reporting, analysis, and commentary on a range of issues—ranging from choices in childbirth and parenting, freedom from violence, access to health care, and economic and educational opportunities to support strong families—often neglected by the broader media.
- What’s your slant?
- Rewire.News journalism is bound by a firm set of ethics and a peerless dedication to accuracy in reporting. Rewire.News works to fulfill the core function of ethical journalism as defined by the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ). As SPJ states, “public enlightenment is the forerunner of justice and the foundation of democracy. Ethical journalism strives to ensure the free exchange of information that is accurate, fair and thorough.” We stake our reputation on vigorous evidence-based analysis, and a talented staff who speak with authority and eloquence on a wide array of issues. We eschew false equivalences, believe in the separation of church and state, are unafraid to call out flaws in conventional wisdom, and do not pledge allegiance to any political party.
- What does it mean to be “evidence-based”?
- Adhering to an evidence-based journalism model means relying on the best available evidence that exists on a given topic, that which is based on quality data, research, and science, as well as on the voices and experiences of those individuals and communities least often heard.
- Why is it important to report on these issues through a race and justice lens?
- Often the people disproportionately affected by unjust laws and policies—and the people with the poorest health outcomes—are those from Black, Asian-American, Latinx, Native, and immigrant communities. At Rewire.News, we aim to center in our reporting people representing those groups, while at the same time investigating institutional and systemic racial discrimination that prevents people of color from exercising their full human rights.
- Who owns Rewire.News?
- We are a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization. We have a board of directors, but no stockholders or corporate interests. Our funding comes from foundations and individual donors committed to ethical journalism.
- Do you accept advertising or other corporate support?
- An independent news source, Rewire.News does not accept corporate donations or contributions from advocacy groups.
- Why should I give you money?
- Rewire.News is a nonprofit independent media publication. We don’t accept advertising or any corporate money. Your tax-deductible contribution helps amplify the truth and transform media.
- How can I give Rewire.News money?
You can give online or send a check. For information about stock or wire transfers, planned giving, or other questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.orgAttn: Gifts Processing
7315 Wisconsin Avenue, STE 400W
Bethesda, MD 20814-3224
- Who writes for Rewire.News?
- Learn about our staff and contributors.
- Where can I find Rewire.News?
- You can find us at Rewire.News or on Twitter (@Rewire_News), Facebook, and Instagram (@Rewire.News).
- I want to listen to your podcasts!
- Our podcasts, Boom! Lawyered, Choice/less, The Breach, and What Else Happened, can be found wherever you get your podcasts.
- How can I share a news tip with you?
- Email us at tips@Rewire.News.
- How can I get a job or freelance for Rewire.News?
- Check out our job listings and our pitching guidelines.
- Who should I vote for? Do you endorse candidates?
- As a nonprofit, Rewire.News is prohibited from endorsing any candidates.