Washington ‘Women’s Right to Know Act’ (SB 5966)
This law was last updated on May 28, 2019
SB 5966 would establish a pregnant person’s right to be fully informed about abortions and the potential risks associated with abortions.
The bill declares that pregnant people have the right to know about:
- Abortion methods and associated medical risks;
- Possible adverse psychological effects of abortion;
- Potential harms to the fetus should an abortion go wrong;
- Medical benefits and risks of carrying a pregnancy to term;
- Probable gestational age of the fetus at the time the abortion is performed;
- Public and private agencies and services available to assist a person through pregnancy, childbirth, and raising a child; and
- Adoption services.
The state would be prohibited from discriminating against the exercise of these rights.
2/22/19 – Introduced; referred to Senate Health & Long Term Care Committee.