Texas Occupational License RFRA (SB 651)
This law was last updated on Dec 7, 2017
SB 651 would allow private individuals employed in over 65 licensed occupations to deny services to people based on their sincerely held religious belief.
The bill would prohibit a state agency that issues a license or otherwise regulates a business, occupation, or profession from adopting any rule, regulation, or policy or imposing a penalty that:
- limits an applicant’s ability to obtain a license based on a sincerely held religious belief of the applicant; or
- burdens a license holder’s:
- free exercise of religion, regardless of whether the burden is the result of a rule generally applicable to all license holders;
- freedom of speech regarding a sincerely held religious belief; or
- membership in any religious organization.
This would not apply if such a rule or penalty is essential to enforcing a compelling governmental purpose and as such, is narrowly tailored to accomplish that purpose.
The bill would allow a person to seek administrative or judicial relief for any rule or penalty in violation of this law.