Rhode Island Informed Consent for Abortion Bill (H 5435)
This law was last updated on Jan 4, 2016
H 5435 would expand the state’s current informed consent laws by requiring physicians to perform an obstetric ultrasound on the pregnant woman prior to an abortion.
Under H 5435, a physician or certifed technician working in conjunction with the physician would bre required to:
- Perform an obstetric ultrasound on the pregnant woman;
- Offer an explanation of the results of the ultrasound;
- Display the ultrasound images so that the pregnant woman may view them;
- Provide a medical description of the ultrasound images, including the dimensions of the embryo or fetus and the presence of external members and internal organs, if present and viewable; and
- Provide an opportunity for the woman to refuse consent to the abortion.
A physician that fails to do so may be imposed a civil penalty up to $100,000 for the first offense and up to $250,000 for the second and each subsequent offense.