Arkansas Abortion Complications Reporting Requirements (SB 3)
This law was last updated on Aug 6, 2019
SB 3 requires physicians and health-care facilities to file a report within three days to the health department regarding each individual under their care who has been diagnosed or treated for a complication that may be the result of an abortion.
Any of the following would be considered an abortion complication:
- uterine perforation;
- cervical laceration;
- aspiration or allergic response;
- incomplete abortion;
- damage to the uterus; and
- an infant born alive after an abortion procedure.
Each report of a complication must contain the following information:
- the date of the abortion that may have caused the complication;
- the type of abortion that may have caused the complication;
- the gestational age of the fetus at the time of the abortion;
- the name and type of health-care facility in which the abortion was performed;
- the date the abortion complication was diagnosed or treated;
- the name and type of any health-care facility (other than the reporting facility) in which the abortion complication was diagnosed or treated;
- a description of the complication;
- the patient’s year of birth, race, marital status, state of residence, and county of residence;
- the date of the first day of the patient’s menstrual period that occurred before the date of the abortion;
- the number of previous live births of the patient; and
- the number of previous induced abortions of the patient.
A physician or health-care facility that violates this provision would be charged $500 for each violation. After three separate violations, the physician or health-care facility may have their license revoked.
11/15/18 – Prefiled.
1/14/19 – Introduced; referred to Public Health, Welfare and Labor Committee.
3/6/19 – Passed senate committee.
3/7/19 – Passed the Senate by a 28-6 vote.
3/27/19 – Passed the House by a 75-13 vote.
4/2/19 – Signed into law by Republican Gov. Asa Hutchinson.
- Breanne Davis
- Harlan Breaux
- Cameron Cooper
- Craig Christiansen
- Joe Cloud
- Cindy Crawford
- Spencer Hawks
- Ricky Hill
- Stu Smith
- Brian Evans
- James Sturch
- Jasen Kelly
- Sarah Capp
- John Maddox
- Johnny Rye
- Mark Johnson
- Clint Penzo
- Lance Eads
- Jana Della Rosa
- Michelle Gray
- Rebecca Petty
- Nelda Speaks
- DeAnn Vaught
- Brandt Smith
- David Wallace
- John Cooper
- Scott Flippo
- Karilyn Brown
- Mary Bentley
- Rick Beck
- Blake Johnson
- Julie Mayberry
- Bob Ballinger
- Cecile Bledsoe
- Gary Stubblefield
- Kim Hammer
- Terry Rice
- Alan Clark
- Bart Hester
- Missy Irvin
- Jane English
- Jason Rapert